Creating a Customer Segment
Creating a customer segment is similar to building a cart price rule, except that the options include customer-specific attributes. The following example shows how to create a customer segment that targets Millenials.
Step 1. Enable Customer Segments
On the Admin sidebar, tap Stores. Then under Settings, choose Configuration.
In the panel on the left under Customers, tap Customer Configuration.
Expand the Customer Segments section.
Verify that Enable Customer Segment Functionality is set to “Yes.”
When complete, tap Save Config.
Step 2: Complete the General Setup
On the Admin sidebar, tap Customers. Then, choose Segments.
In the upper-right corner, tap Add Segment. Then, do the following:
To activate the customer segment, set Status to “Active”.
- Enter a Segment Name to identify the customer segment when working in the Admin.
- Enter a brief Description that explains the purpose of the segment.
- Set Assigned to Website to the website where the customer segment can be used.
- To activate the customer segment, set Status to “Active.”
To identify the customers that this segment applies to, set the Apply to field to one of the following:
- Visitors and Registered Customers
- Registered Customers
- When complete, tap Save and Continue Edit. Additional options become available in the Segment Information panel.
Step 3: Describe the Conditions
- In the panel on the left, choose Conditions. The condition begins, “If ALL of these conditions are TRUE:”
To create a condition that targets the Millennium Generation, do the following:
- Tap Add ( ) to display the list of conditions. Then, in the list under Customer, choose Date Of Birth.
In the condition after “Customer Date of Birth,” click the is link. Then, choose “equals or greater than.”
Equals or Greater Than
Click the default date value, and replace with the following: “1977-01-01”. Then, click the green checkmark ( ) to save the setting.
Condition Line 1
- On the next line, click Add ( ). Then, in the list under Customers, again select Date of Birth.
- Click the is link, and select “equals or less than.”
Replace the inserted date with the following: “1994-12-31”. Then, click the green checkmark ( ) to save the setting.
Condition for Millennium Generation
Tap Save and Continue Edit.
Step 4: Generate the List of Matched Customers
In the panel on the left, select Matched Customers to display all customers who match the condition.
When complete, tap Save.
The customer segment can now be used for targeting promotions, content, and mailings.
Segment Name: A name that identifies the segment for internal reference.
Description: A brief description that explains the purpose of the segment for internal reference.
Assigned to Website: The single website where the segment can be used.
Status__: Activates and deactivates the segment. Any associated price rules and banners are deactivated when the segment is disabled. Options include: Active / Inactive.
Apply to: Defines the customer types to which the segment is applied. The selection influences the set of conditions available for creating the segment. The setting cannot be changed after the segment is saved. Options include:
- Visitors and Registered Customers: Includes all shoppers, regardless of whether they are logged in to an account.
- Registered Customers: Includes only shoppers who are logged in to an account.
- Visitors: Includes only shoppers who are not logged in to an account.