A downloadable product can be anything that you can deliver as a file, such as an eBook, music, video, software application, or update. You can offer an album for sale, and sell each song individually. You can also use a downloadable product to deliver an electronic version of your product catalog.
Because the actual download doesn’t become available until after the purchase, you can provide samples, such as an excerpt from a book, a clip from an audio file, or a trailer from a video that the customer can try before purchasing the product. The files that you make available for download can be either uploaded to your server, or from a different server.
Downloadable products can be configured to require that the customer log in to an account to receive the link, or can be sent by email and shared with others. The status of the order before the download becomes available, default values, and other delivery options are set in the configuration. To learn more, see: Download Options.
The following instructions take you through the process of creating a downloadable product using a product template, required fields, and basic settings. Each required field is marked with a red asterisk (*). When you finish the basics, you can complete the advanced settings and other settings as needed.
Downloadable file names can include letters and numbers. Either a dash or underscore character can be used to represent a space between words. Any invalid characters in the file name are replaced with an underscore.
Step 1: Choose the Product Type
On the Admin sidebar, tap Products. Then, choose Catalog.
In the upper-right corner on the Add Product ( ) menu, choose Downloadable Product.
Add Downloadable Product
Step 2: Choose the Attribute Set
The sample data includes an attribute set called “Downloadable” that has special fields for downloadable products. You can use an existing template, or create another before the product is saved.
To choose the attribute set that is used as a template for the product, do one of the following:
- In the Search box, enter the name of the attribute set.
- In the list, choose the “Downloadable” attribute set.
The form is updated to reflect the change.
Choose Attribute Set
Step 3: Complete the Required Settings
Enter the product Product Name.
Accept the default SKU that is based on the product name, or enter another.
Enter the product Price.
Because the product is not yet ready to publish, set the Enable Product switch to the “No” ( ) position.
Tap Save and continue.
When the product is saved, the Store View chooser appears in the upper-left corner.
Choose the Store View where the product is to be available.
Choose Store View
Step 4: Complete the Basic Settings
Set Tax Class to one of the following:
- Taxable Goods
Enter the Quantity of the product that is currently in stock. For Multi Source merchants with Inventory Management, see the expanded instructions.
Take note of the following:
- By default, Stock Status is set to “Out of Stock.”
- The Weight field is not used, because downloadable products are not shipped.
Assign Sources and Quantities (Inventory Management)
For Multi Source merchants using Inventory Management, scroll down to the Sources section and assign sources and quantities:
To add a source, tap Assign Sources. The Assign Sources page displays.
Browse or search for a source you want to add. Select the checkbox next to the source(s) you want to add for the product.
Assign sources to the product
Tap Done to add the sources.
To change settings and quantities per assigned source, do the following:
Set Source Item Status to In Stock.
Enter an amount update the Qty for on-hand stock.
To set a notification for inventory quantities, do one of the following:
Custom Notify Quantity Clear the Notify Quantity Use Default checkbox and enter an amount in Notify Quantity. Default Notify Quantity Select the Notify Quantity Use Default checkbox. Magento checks and uses the setting in Advanced Inventory or global Store configuration.
Update Product Quantities per Source
Accept the default Visibility setting, “Catalog, Search.”
To feature the product in the list of new products, mark the Set Product as New checkbox.
To assign Categories to the product, tap the Select… box. Then, do either of the following:
Choose an existing category:
Start typing in the box to find a match.
Mark the checkbox of each category that is to be assigned.
Create a new category:
Tap New Category .
Enter the Category Name and choose the Parent Category to determine its position in the menu structure.
Tap Create Category .
Set Format to one of the following:
If necessary, you can edit the attribute to add more values.
There might be additional attributes that describe the product. The selection varies attribute set, and you can complete them later.
Step 5: Complete the Downloadable Information
Scroll down to Downloadable Information, and expand the section. Then, mark the Is this downloadable product? checkbox.
The Downloadable Information section has two parts. The first part describes each download link, and the second part describes each sample file. The default value for many of these options can be set in the configuration.
Part 1: Complete the Links
In the Links section, enter the Title that you want to use as a heading for the download links.
If applicable, mark the Links can be purchased separately checkbox.
Tap Add Link. Then, do the following:
- Enter the Title and Price of the download.
- For both File and Sample files, choose one of the following methods of distribution for the downloads:
- Upload File — To upload the the distribution file to the server, choose “Upload File.” Then, browse to the file, and select it for upload.
- URL — To access the distribution file from a URL, choose “URL” Then, enter the full URL to the download file.
- Set Shareable to one of the following:
- No — Requires customers to log in to their accounts to access the download link.
- Yes — Sends the link by email, which customers can share with others.
- Use Config — Uses the method that is specified in the Dowloadable Product Options configuration.
- Do one of the following:
- To limit downloads per customer, enter the number of Max. Downloads.
- To allow unlimited downloads, mark the Unlimited checkbox.
To add another link, tap Add Link. Then, repeat these steps.
Part 2: Complete the Samples
In the Samples section, enter the Title that you want to use as a heading for the samples.
To complete the information for each sample, tap Add Link .
Complete the link detail as follows:
- Enter the Title of the individual sample.
- Choose one of the following distribution methods:
- Upload File — To upload the the sample distribution file to the server, choose “Upload File.” Then, browse to the file, and select it for upload.
- URL — To access the sample distribution file from a URL, choose “URL” Then, enter the full URL to the download file.
- To add another sample, tap Add Link , and repeat these steps.
- To change the order of the samples, grab the Change Order ( ) icon, and drag the sample to a new position.
Step 6: Complete the Product Information
Scroll down and complete the information in the following sections as needed:
- Images and Videos
- Search Engine Optimization
- Related Products, Up-Sells, and Cross-Sells
- Customizable Options
- Products in Websites
- Gift Options
Step 7: Publish the Product
If you are ready to publish the product in the catalog, set the Enable Product switch to the “Yes” ( ) position.
Do one of the following:
Method 1: Save and Preview
In the upper-right corner, tap Save.
To view the product in your store, choose Customer View on the Admin ( ) menu. The store opens in a new browser tab.
Method 2: Save and Close
On the Save ( ) menu, choose Save & Close.
Save & Close
Things to Remember
Downloadable products can be uploaded to the server, or linked to from another server on the Internet.
You can determine the number of times a customer can download a product.
Customers who purchase a downloadable product can be required to log in before going through checkout.
The delivery of a downloadable product can be made when the order is in either a “Pending” or “Invoiced” state.