FedEx is one of the world’s largest shipping service companies, providing air, freight, and ground shipping services with several levels of priorities.
FedEx Shipping Options at Checkout
FedEx now uses dimensional weight to determine some shipping rates.
Step 1: Register for FedEx Web Services Production
You must create a FedEx merchant account and register for FedEx Web Services Production Access. After creating a FedEx account, read through the production account information page, then click the Obtain Production Key link at the bottom of the page to register and obtain a key.
Make sure to copy or write down the authentication key. You will need it to set up FedEx in your Magento shipping settings.
Step 2: Enable FedEx for Your Store
On the Admin sidebar, click Stores.
In the Settings section, choose Configuration.
In the Sales section on the left, choose Shipping Methods.
Expand the FedEx section. Then, do the following:
Set Enabled for Checkout to
Enter an appropriate Title to identify the FedEx shipping method during checkout.
Enter the following information from your FedEx account:
- Account ID
- Meter Number
If you have set up a FedEx sandbox and want to work in the testing environment, set Sandbox Mode to
Remember to set Sandbox Mode to “No” when you are ready to offer FedEx as a shipping method to your customers.
Step 3: Package Description and Handle Fee
Select the Packages Request Type to the option that best describes your preference when splitting an order into multiple shipments:
- Divide to equal weight (one request)
- Use origin weight (few requests)
Select the type of Packaging typically used to ship products from your store. Options include:
- FedEx Envelope
- FedEx Pak
- FedEx Box
- FedEx Tube
- FedEx 10kg Box
- FedEx 25kg Box
- Your Packaging
Set Dropoff to the pick-up method that will be used for delivery. Options include:
- Regular Pickup–If you have a high volume of shipments, it can be cost effective to make arrangements with FedEx for regular pickups.
- Request Courier–You must call and request a FedEx courier to pick-up shipments.
- Drop Box–You must drop off shipments at your nearby FedEx drop box.
- Business Service Center–You must drop off shipments at your local FedEx business service center.
- Station–You must drop off shipments at your local FedEx station.
Set Weight Unit to the unit of measurement that is used in your locale. Options include:
Enter the Maximum Package Weight allowed for FedEx shipments.
The default FedEx maximum weight is 150 lbs. Consult your shipping carrier for more information. We recommend using the default value, unless you have made special arrangements with FedEx. See also: Dimensional Weight.
(Optional) Add a handling fee to the amount charged by FedEx, which is not visible during checkout.
Set Calculate Handling Fee to one of the following:
- Fixed Fee
In the Handling Applied list, choose one of the following methods for managing handling fees:
- Per Order
- Per Package
Enter the Handling Fee as either a fixed amount or percentage, depending on the method of calculation.
Set Residential Delivery to one of the following, depending on whether you sell Business-to-Consumer (B2C) or Business-to-Business (B2B).
- Yes–For B2C residential deliveries.
- No–For B2B residential deliveries.
Step 4: Allowed Methods and Applicable Countries
Set Allowed Methods to each method of shipment that you want to offer.
When choosing methods, take into consideration your FedEx account, the frequency and size of your shipments, and if you allow international shipments. You can offer as many or as few methods as you want. Options include:
- Europe First Priority
- Delivery day options: 1 Day Freight, 2 Day Freight, 2 Day, 2 Day AM, 3 Day Freight
- Domestic options–Express Saver, Ground, First, Overnight, Home Delivery, Standard Overnight
- International options–International Economy, Intl Economy Freight, International First, International Ground, International, Priority Intl
- Priority options–Freight, Priority Overnight
- Smart Post–If offering the Smart Post method, enter the Hub ID.
- Freight options–Freight, National Freight
In the Free Method list, choose the method you prefer to use for free shipping. Then, do the following:
Set Free Shipping Amount Threshold to one of the following:
Enable–If offering Free Shipping with Minimum Order, enter the Minimum Order Amount for Free Shipping.
Disable–Does not apply free FedEx shipping to any orders.
This is similar to the standard Free Shipping method, but appears in the FedEx section during checkout, so customers know which method is used for their order.
In the next Free Shipping Amount Threshold field, enter the minimum amount for an order to qualify for free shipping.
The Displayed Error Message text box is preset with a default message. You can leave this as is or edit as needed.
Set Ship to Applicable Countries to one of the following:
- All Allowed Countries
If applicable, set Ship to Specific Countries to each country where your customers are allowed to ship by FedEx. (Hold the Ctrl key down to select multiple options.)
If you want to keep a log of all communication between your store and the FedEx system, set Debug to
Set Show Method if Not Applicable to one of the following:
- Yes–Shows all FedEx shipping methods to customers, regardless of their availability.
- No–Shows only the FedEx shipping methods that apply to the order.
Enter a Sort Order numeric value to determine the sequence in which FedEx appears when listed with other shipping methods during checkout. The number with the highest priority is 0, which puts it at the top of the list.
Click Save Config.